A leading eye care company implements Salesforce across 10 countries in the APAC region in 20 months to enhance productivity and sales effectiveness
A leading global eye health products company manufacturing ophthalmic pharmaceuticals, intraocular lenses, and surgical instruments.
Challenges & Goals
The company decided to implement Salesforce across the globe that spanned 4 regions – North America, EMEA, APAC, and ANZ. The plan was to roll out Salesforce globally as quickly as possible to enhance the productivity and effectiveness of their sales team. Lister was chosen to implement Salesforce across 10 countries in the APAC region.
The company had the following challenges to address before they proceed with the implementation and do a global rollout.
- Using a single instance of Salesforce org or a separate instance for each country.
- If a single instance of Salesforce.org is chosen, then how do different partners can work simultaneously without impacting each other’s work.
- Ensuring effective development, testing and deployment for better user adoption and governance.
Given the size and scale of the CRM rollout planned, Lister created two governing committees of leadership and technical experts from the Client, Salesforce, and Lister. One was a Steering committee to strategize and oversee the program, the other committee was managing the design technical governance – defining all technical guidelines, architectural considerations, and rules to follow.
The following key decisions were taken after discussions and deliberations by the committees.
- Implementation of one Salesforce org for each business line across the globe. Hence, 3 Salesforce org implementations were planned across vision care, pharma, and surgical business divisions.
- Formulation of a common global template for each business unit and then separate guidelines and norms for customization for each country based on the business requirements.
- The steering committee and design committee would review and approve customizations that would deviate considerably from the template.
- Phase 1 – Productivity measurement and improvement of the sales team
- Phase 2 – Efficiency improvement in terms of market coverage and reporting
- Phase 3 – Measuring and improving the effectiveness of sales teams, information captured and use of analytics to generate insights.
Based on the key decisions taken, the Lister team handled the rollout to 10 countries in the APAC region.
The base template for APAC was built as an extension of the global template for each of the business lines and these were further customized for each country. India was used for building the base template for all the business lines.
There were a total of 22 implementations across the 10 countries with the following achievements.
- 21 out of 22 implementations were on time and within budgets.
- The global rollout was seamless and had no significant issues.
- No significant impact is caused by any of the customization done for any country because of the robust governance.
- User adoption was outstanding across most of the countries.
- The entire rollout of Salesforce was considered as one the best managed and delivered IT projects by the client, in terms of speed, quality and governance.
Post-implementation Lister was chosen as the partner for ongoing global support for enhancements and additional requirements. This included all regions NA, EMEA, APAC and ANZ.